Decision on Haitians’ status in U.S. has Canada bracing for new wave of asylum seekers
by The Canadian Press Stephanie Levitz
The United States is extending temporary status just one last time — until July 2019 — to give Haitians time to prepare to return home
A decision by the Trump administration to end a temporary residency permit program that has allowed almost 60,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States has the Canadian government on alert for a potential new surge of asylum seekers at the border.
The Homeland Security Department said late Monday that conditions in Haiti have improved significantly, so the benefit will be extended one last time — until July 2019 — to give Haitians time to prepare to return home.
Haitians were placed on notice earlier this year, and, few months later, waves of people began crossing illegally into Canada from the U.S. to claim asylum, catching the Liberals off guard when the crowds began to number more than 200 people a day.
A spokesperson for Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said while Canada remains an “open and welcoming country to people seeking refuge,” anyone entering Canada must do so “through the proper channels.”
“Entering irregularly is not a ‘free ticket’ into Canada,’ ” said Hursh Jaswal late Monday.
full story at http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/decision-on-haitians-status-in-u-s-has-canada-bracing-for-new-wave-of-asylum-seekers
Categorised in: Canadian News